re: Philippians 1:23-24

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 20:49:29 EDT

>SUNECOMAI DE EK TWN DUO, THN EPIQUMIAN EXWN EIS TO ANALUSAI KAI SUN CRISTWi
>EINAI, POLLWi [GAR] MALLON KREISSONĚ| TO DE EPIMENEIN [EN] THi SARKI
>AVAGKAIOTERON DI' hUMAS

>This sentence begins with SUNECOMAI which I take as a descriptive or
>progressive present. The force of the phrase EK TWN DUO is that of a
>genitive of means/instrument. Paul is kept in a dilemma by both of his
>options. The article here is anaphoric (it points back to the two concepts
>in v. 21). EXWN seems to be a circumstantial participle. please correct any
>errors from above, now I am stuck:

>1. What is the use of the infinitive in EIS TO ANALUSAI? What aspect is in
>view?
>2. What is the use of the infinitive in EINAI? What aspect is in view?
>3. How would you classify KREISSON? As a simple comparative adjective?
>4. How would you identify AVAGKAIOTERON? Wallace mentions something called
>"comparative for elative" p. 300. Where "the quality expressed by the
>objective is intensified, but not making a comparison."

1. EIS TO ANALUSAI and EINAI are both explaining EPIQUMIAN. Some call them
epexegetic.
3. KREISSON is comparative. In this strange structure, something like "more
better by much."
4. AVAGKAIOTERON is also a comparative adjective. You have to understand
that Paul is comparing departing with remaining and thus says remaining is
"more necessary for you" (than departing). I think this one is truly
comparative.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College