Re: Brenton's LXX

From: Garrett B Trott (gtrott@juno.com)
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 23:10:48 EDT

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:45:36 "Jim Ellis" <jellis@dallas.net> writes:
>I have obtained a copy of Sir Lancelot C. L. Brenton's "Septuagint
>with
>Apocrypha: Greek and English," Hendrickson, 1998. But it does not
>seem to
>quite match the LXX in my Logos Software (which I think is Alfred
>Rahlfs
>Septuaginta, (Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft Stuttgart) 1979. Being
>unfamiliar
>with the LXX textual issues, Am I to expect significant differences?

They are based on two different texts. Brenton's is based on the
Vaticanus text with some reliance on the Alexandrinus text. Whereas
Rahlf's text uses all three of the "more common" texts - the two listed
above, and Sinaiticus. While, they will be common at some (perhaps even
most) places, there will be times where they differ. From what I have
done in LXX studies, most of the differences between Brenton and Rahlf's
are relatively minor and are typically based off the fact that Vaticanus
(or Alexandrinus) differs from Sinaiticus. Hope that helps.

-Garrett B. Trott