Re: 1 Cor 6:18

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 07:12:15 EDT

At 11:31 PM +1300 10/3/99, Trevor and Margaret Nicholls wrote:
>Hi Jim
>
>> They can- and here they sort of point in that direction. But "outside"
>> seems a bit better to me for ektos. And here I would render eis as
>"against".
>
>So every (other) sin is outside the body? Even
>pride, cursing, etc.?

You might want to consider the implications of Gal 5:16-21, an enumeration
of TA ERGA THS SARKOS, including (vs. 19) PORNEIA, AKAQARSIA,
ASELGEIA--which one might reasonably understand as sexual--but then
continues (vs. 20) to include EIDWLOLATRIA, FARMAKEIA, ECQRAI, ERIS, ZHLOW,
QUMOI, ERIQEIAI, DICOSTASIAI, hAIRESEIS, (vs. 21) FQONOI, MEQAI, KWMOI KAI
TA hOMOIA TOUTOIS ...

(I remember vividly how surprised--and inwardly gratified--I was to hear
Senator Sam Ervin chanting off this list in his Tarheel drawl in the course
of the Watergate hearings which he chaired a quarter of a century ago.)

Of course, SARX is hardly identical with SWMA ordinarily in Pauline texts,
generally meaning the alienated self or SWMA hAMARTIAS that is subservient
to demonically self- and other-destructive passions. But I think that pride
and cursing might fit somewhere in that list as TA hOMOIA TOUTOIS.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu