Re: 1 Cor 6:18

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 11:18:33 EDT

At 8:23 AM -0400 10/3/99, Jim West wrote:
>At 11:31 PM 10/3/99 +1300, you wrote:
>>Hi Jim
>
>>So every (other) sin is outside the body? Even
>>pride, cursing, etc.?
>
>In an odd sort of Platonic way, yes. If I read Paul right here he is saying
>that adultery/fornication is a sin which one commits against oneself, while
>other sins are sins which one commits against another.

For my part, I think there's a bit too much generalization from the one
statement in a particular context in a particular letter of Paul. Even in
Romans I think one ought to be careful to consider strong Pauline
assertions in terms of the immediate context of what is being said. In sum,
I think that the question of how Paul understands the relationship and
relative importance of sins against self and sins against others might best
be moved to the Corpus Paulinum list, UNLESS anyone wants to talk about
another specifically Pauline passage and focus upon what its Greek text
means.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu