Re: Thayers list of words

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 10:13:48 EDT

At 02:57 PM 10/7/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>here in the germanspeaking part of Europe it is quite difficult to get a
>glimpse into a copy of Thayers lexicon, which causes me to ask three short
>questions:
>1. Can anybody provide me with the exact bibliographical data of the
>original (!) work?

A Greek English Lexicon of the New Testament- Being Grimm's Wilke's Clavis
Novi Testamenti
by Joseph Henry Thayer, D.D.
Baker Book House, 1977
ISBN 0-8010-8872-0

>2. Can this person take a look at the appendix with the list 767 words and
>tell me what this list is all about (existence of such a list is mentioned
>e.g. in footnote 33, p.62 of Silva, M., Biblical words and their meaning,
>Zondervan, Grand Rapids, 1994)?

There are several appendices which list
Words From the Post Aristotelian Period
Borrowed Words
Biblical (only) Words
Words Peculiar to Individual NT Writers
Forms of Verbs

>3. Amazon.com says that their is a 1997 edition (Thayer, J., Greek English
>Lexicon of the New Testament: Coded with the numbering system from Strong's
>Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, reissue edition 1997, Hendrickson
>Publishers) of the lexicon. I am curious whether the mentioned wordlist
>(appendix) is still in there somewhere?

Yup- thats the one I have as well.

>If you feel this does not interest the rest of the list, please answer off
>list. Thanks for any help with this.

One never knows--- so I send it along to all.
Anyway- Jurg, I never use the thing- so if you want it I will send it to you.

best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium