Re: KATA PANTA, DIA PANTA

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 08:14:57 EDT

<x-flowed>>TA SA EK TWN SWN SOI PROSFEROMEN KATA PANTA KAI DIA PANTA

>David's Offertory prayer in 1 Chronicles 29:14 immediately springs to mind.
> It is incorporated as an Offertory sentence in the CofE Alternative
>Service Book 1984, Holy Communion Rite A.
>
>In the LXX this reads:
>
>KAI TIS EIMI EGW, KAI TIS hO LOAS MOU hOTI ISCUSAMEN PROQUMHQHNAI
>SOI KATA TAUTA; *hOTI SA TA PANTA, KAI EK TWN SWN DEDWKAMEN SOI*.
>
>IMHO we need look no further than this for the origin of Chrysostom's
>liturgical text.

I concur. The Divine Liturgy is the service of sacrifice that replaces
these offerings of old.

>KATA PANTA is found 105 times in Scripture (98 in LXX, 7 in NT).
>DIA PANTA is found once (Ezek 33:29).
>KATA PANTA KAI DIA PANTA is not found anywhere in Scripture.

How many of these occur during the Gospel stories of the Mystical Supper?
Particularly the Gospel of John which is the largest inspiration in creating
the Byzantine Divine Liturgy?

How many of the LXX references occur in Leviticus, Exodus and Deuteronomy
sections regarding worship instructions?

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor