Re: KATA PANTA, DIA PANTA

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 11:59:45 EDT

On Wed 6 Oct 1999 (12:45:50), cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu wrote:
> I think you're right on the matter of an origin, but the real problem
> remains how we are to understand KATA PANTA and DIA PANTA. Do you mean
> to say that they have no helpful NT parallels or source?

 As with Paul Dixon, I can find no other NT or LXX parallels to KATA PANTA
 KAI DIA PANTA. Maybe a Liturgiologist on the List can offer an explanation?
 I do not have a Commentary on the Anglican Alternative Prayer Book 1980
 (not 1984 as I mistyped yesterday); only the book. On page 129, para 34,
 we have the Offertory prayer "Yours, Lord, is the greatness, the power,
 the glory, the splendour, and the majesty; for everything in heaven and
 on earth is yours. All things cone from you, and of your own do we give you."

 So much for the TA SA EK TWN SWN PROSFEROMEN as reflected in the English
 liturgy.

 Maybe KATA PANTA KAI DIA PANTA has some affinity with Romans 11:36, hOTI EX
 AUTOU KAI DI' AUTOU KAI EIS AUTON TA PANTA: AUTWi hH DOXA EIS TOUS AIWNAS,
 AMHN. Or with 1 Corinthians 8:6, ALL' hHMIN hEIS QEOS hO PATHR EX hOU TA
 PANTA KAI hHMEIS EIS AUTON, KAI hEIS KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS DI' hOU TA PANTA
 KAI hHMEIS DI' AUTOU.

 We don't have the context of Felipe's quotation. Is it possible that there
 is an ellipsis here; should it be more fully KATA *hOU* TA PANTA KAI DI' *hOU*
 TA PANTA? That is, "we offer to you *God* what is yours out of your own
 [i.e. the Tithe?] by *whom* and through *whom* [are] all things."

 Just a paltry $0.02 EK TWN SWN

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--