Re: DIKAIOS

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 09:28:12 EDT

<x-flowed> To: Carl W. Conrad,

<< I still believe that DIKAIOS in Mt 1:19 (IWSHF DE hO ANHR AUTHS,
DIKAIOS WN KAI MH QELWN AUTHN DEIGMATISAI ...) carries in it the richer
sense of "righteous/ness" in Matthew's gospel--not strict observance of the
law itself, but appreciation of God's will represented in the law and
attentiveness to that, and most particularly--this is fundamentally
Matthaean--a recognition of God's demand for ELEOS. That's what I think is
involved in the present assertion that Joseph is unwilling to make a public
spectacle of Mary. >>

Although I initially opposed the idea, when you put this way, your
explanation makes sense. Although I would suggest that "Torah observance"
and being merciful, were probably not contrary for Matthew.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

 From Luther's Large Catechism: "Why, do you think, is the world now so
full of unfaithfulness, shame, misery, and murder? It is because everyone
wishes to be his or her own master, be free from all authority, care
nothing for anyone, and do whatever he or she pleases. So God punishes one
knave by means of another" (BoC 386.154).