Re: Jo 19:25

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 10:13:22 EDT

At 03:02 PM 10/18/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Whenever I come across this sentence:
>Jo 19:25
>EISTHKEISAN DE PARA TW STAURW TOU IHSOU H MHTHR AUTOU

(thats woman number 1)

KAI H ADELFH THS
>MHTROS AUTOU MARIA H TOU KLWPA

(thats woman number 2. She is the sister of his mother Mary (!) the wife of
Cleopas) By the way, this puts the lie to the notion that Mary is never
named in John!!!

KAI MARIA H MAGDALHNH

(thats woman number 3) I dont know who she is related to, but shes from Magdala.

>I am reminded of a discussion on Crosstalk:
>1. How many women?
>2. How are they related?
>
>Besides other considerations: What can be said about the Greek grammatical
>structure of this sentence?

Its typical and septuagintal.

> What is probable from a grammatical point of
>view? Do we have examples from non christian sources that could help us
>here?

It is hardly conceivable that a non christian source would be interested in
these women.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium