Re: OU DUNATAI hAMARTIAN in 1 John 3:9

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 13:08:38 EDT

<x-flowed>To: Steve Long,

Jay Adkins: << 1Joh 3:9 (GNT) PAS hO GEGENNHMENOS EK TOU QEOU hAMARTIAN OU
POIEI, hOTI SPERMA AUTOU EN AUTWi MENEI, KAI OU DUNATAI hAMARTIAN, hOTI EK
TOU QEOU GEGENNHTAI. 1 John 3:9 All the ones having been born from God do
not sin habitually, because His seed is abiding in him, and he is not able
to sin continuously, because he has been born from God. >>

SCM: << . If we had: hAMARTIAN POIEI ("he/she does sin"), surely it is
possible to understand this as referring to habitual action. Now lets
negate the sentence (as it appears in the Greek text): hAMARTIAN OU POIEI
("he/she does not sin"). Now, are we to understand this to mean that this
person does indeed occasionally sin, but just doesn't do it habitually?
Personally, I find such reasoning to be a real stretch. >>

SL: << Is it possible that the grammar is not the key here, but the
lexicology? I would read POIEI as a purposeful making of sin, a deliberate
desire to do something wrong. So loosely translated it would be "No one who
is born of God deliberately sets out to do the wrong thing, because God's
essential life lives in him. He has no real ability to do the wrong thing
because he is born of God." The emphasis is on the intention of the heart,
rather than habitual or occasional actions. >>

 From what lexicon did you get that? Could you give another example where
OU POIEI or OU DUNATAI refers to someone who does something, but not
deliberately?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

 From Luther's Large Catechism: "Why, do you think, is the world now so
full of unfaithfulness, shame, misery, and murder? It is because everyone
wishes to be his or her own master, be free from all authority, care
nothing for anyone, and do whatever he or she pleases. So God punishes one
knave by means of another" (BoC 386.154).