Re: Jn 14.25

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 10:03:28 EDT

<x-flowed>To: Nigel Hanscamp,

<< TAUTA LELALHKA (UMIN PAR (UMIN MENWN The Johannine choice of (UMIN PAR
(UMIN MENWN seems interesting to me. Jesus is not described as just being
META (UMIN (with you), but "remaining", just as the spirit "remained" on
Jesus in 1.32. Or am I seeing more in this than is actually there. Is the
above phrase 'normal' Greek? >>

Although the dative is possible with META (cf. Epic poetry), much more
common for NT usage would be META hUMWN.

As for the verb MENW, it often has the special sense meaning '"live, dwell,
lodge," so one might translates Jn 14:25 as:

"I have said these things to you during my stay among you."

Instead of looking at Jn 1:32 for a similar usage for MENW, how about 1:38
& 39? At verse 38 we have: POU MENEI; "Where do you live?" And at verse 39
we find: KAI PAR AUTWi EMEINAN "they stayed with him."

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

 From Luther's Large Catechism: "Why, do you think, is the world now so
full of unfaithfulness, shame, misery, and murder? It is because everyone
wishes to be his or her own master, be free from all authority, care
nothing for anyone, and do whatever he or she pleases. So God punishes one
knave by means of another" (BoC 386.154).