Re: Matt 11:25 etc...

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 18:22:05 EDT

On Wed 27 Oct 1999 (09:11:49), brian@discoveryhills.org wrote:
> I realize that if your verdict is in that this is a wisdom saying, or
> remembered saying of Jesus, drawn from a theorized document such a Q,
> such a connection would appear fictitious. Yet, I am open to the
> possibility that our author is telling it like it was, and am therefore
> interested in this connection of pericopes.

 Dear Brian,

 If this detached pericope is in fact from a document such as "Q", then
 let's consider its context in that other user of "Q", Luke. If Matthew
 and Luke both went through Q, but rearranged its pericopes in a different
 sequence, then perhaps Q's context of it has been preserved in Luke 10:21-22,
 where it follows the Mission of the Seventy[-two].

 Jesus rejoices that his "babes in Christ", his neophyte disciples, have
 just had such an enlightening experience of the things of God. Makes sense?

 The introductory formula "Jesus answered and said" does not mean that he
 was responding to a question from the crowd, or even a Voice from heaven.
 It is a commonly used formula for introducing or continuing a narrative
 (compare Matthew 17:4; 28:5), and is of Hebraistic origin. See, for example:
 Deuteronomy 21:7 W:`FNuW W:'oM:RuW KAI APOKRIQENTES EPOUSIN, LXX
 Isaiah 21:9 WaYYa`aN WaYYo'MeR KAI APOKRIQEIS EIPEN, LXX

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF