Re: Matt 11:25 etc...

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 07:54:26 EDT

<x-flowed>To: Brian Swedburg, Carlton Winbery, Ben Crick, et al.,

FWIW ... I took BAGD's suggestions that APOKRINOMAI might mean "continue"
or "begin, speak up" to be a "fly by the seat of your paints" "educated
guess" of what APOKRINOMAI might mean in those situations where it doesn't
appear to mean much of anything else. But I will note that EDNT picks up on
this and states that APOKRINOMAI can mean "answer, reply, begin speaking,
continue speaking." And adds that APOKRINOMAI is used "as a signal,
characteristic of narrative style, for the beginning or continuation of
speech" (EDNT 1:133). And Louw & Nida's "Greek-English Lexicon of the NT
Based on Semantic Domains" states that APOKRINOMAI is used "to introduce or
continue a somewhat formal discourse (occurring regularly with LEGW ...)"
and they give a "literal translation" of Mt 11:25 as: "at that time Jesus
spoke and said."

Also, for discussions on the supposed semitism of the phrase APOKRIQEIS
EIPEN see: Moulton-Howard 2:453-454; BDF sec. 420.1; and Porter's "Verbal
Aspect..." 1989:137-138.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

"O villain! thou wilt be condemned into everlasting redemption for this"
(Shakespare, "Much Ado About Nothing", 4.2.60-61).