ALLHGOROUMENA in Gal 4:24

From: Joseph Brian Tucker (music@riverviewcog.org)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 13:57:52 EST

Greetings

Paul's use of ALLHGOROUMENA (allegory) is the only occurrence of it in the
NT. It is not found in LXX. Hanson argues for understanding this word as
"typology" like what was practiced among the rabbis of Palestine, (Allegory
and Event, 13-14). (I have already looked at BAGD, TDNT, LN, DNTT)

What is the correct understanding of this word? Most sources I check are
rather vague concerning ALLHGOROUMENA.

What is the function of ALLHGOROUMENA in Paul's argument? I am concerned
with its role in properly translating the word.

However, if one has some thoughts concerning how Paul gets theology from
Old Testament narrative. I would be happy to hear them, *offline* of
course, lest this thread stray from the focus of the list.

Thanks

Brian Tucker
Riverview, MI