Re: Hermas Vis. I.i.3

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 07 1999 - 16:51:41 EST

At 2:12 AM -0500 11/7/99, Stporfiri@cs.com wrote:
>The final sentence in Hermas Vis. I.i.3 is clear in its purport, but obscure
>in one point. Why does a verb in the subjunctive mood surface in a steady
>stream of indicatives? The outline of the sentence is DIABAS . . . TON
>POTAMON . . . HLQON EIS TA OMALA KAI TIQW TA GONATA KAI HRXAMHN PROSEUCESQAI.
> When I checked Lake's translation, I found that he paid the subjunctive no
>attention at all. I will appreciate any helpful comments on this puzzle or
>directions to the relevant grammar-books.

I don't have any resources ready to hand at the moment, and perhaps by now
somebody has already answered this, but I'd consider the possibility that
TIQW is not a subjunctive at all but rather the familiar TIQHMI transformed
into an omega verb, in which case this is a present indicative first
singular. After all, AFIHMI, although a classical -MI verb, commonly
appears as AFIW in some Koine writers. A quick check of the GNT has
verified that the omega verb TIQW is not to be found there, but I think
that's as much a possibility as that we have a subjunctive . Still it's an
odd sequence: from HLQON aorist to TIQW present to HRXAMHN aorist again.
The TIQW would have to be a historical present or perhaps fall into Dale
Wheeler's "default" category. But there ought to be lexicographical
evidence somewhere for an omega form of TIQHMI, or so I'd guess.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu