Re: ekplhssw Mark 1:22

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 15:09:47 EST

Michael Mccoy wrote;

>This word appears in present active form in its lexical form, however, in
>N.T. usage it only appears in middle/passive form. Based upon its usage,
>it appears to be a deponent verb, but in Mark 1:22, when it appears as an
>imperfect middle/passive in form, it is followed by the preposition epi,
>and the context seems to demand that it be passive. What do you all know
>about this verb? Should I view it as being deponent based upon its N.T.
>usage or not?

BAGD gives this word as meaning "to amaze," or "astound" in the active
form. In the passive the meaning given is "to be amazed," "be overwhelmed."
This fits well in Mk 1:22; "They were amazed at his teaching . . ." The
active form never occurs in the NT or the LXX.

Concerning "deponent" verbs you should go to the archives and read the post
from Carl Conrad on middle verbs that are transitive and take objects. You
can find the archives by going to the home page for b-greek at the bottom
of this post.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion
Louisiana College Box 612