Hebraisms in Syoptics

From: Rion K. Reece (yoshua@tky2.3web.ne.jp)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 20:08:05 EST

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><HTML>
I just received a little book by David Bivin and Roy Blizzard Jr. entitled
Understanding the Difficult words of Jesus.&nbsp; If anyone has read this,
will you please comment on the following statements made in this book?

<P>1.&nbsp; The synoptic gospels and part of acts show signs of being translated
from Hebrew.

<P>2.&nbsp; Jesus' words in Luke 23:31, "For if they do these things in
the green tree, what shall be done in the dry" are a referrence to Ezekiel
20:47".. say to the forest of the Negeb, Hear the word of the LORD: Thus
says the Lord GOD, I will kindle a fire in you, and it shall devour every
green tree in you and every dry tree; "
<UL>2b. and that "the green tree" was a specific claim to messiahship which
would be well understood at the time.
<BR>&nbsp;</UL>
3.&nbsp; Jesus' words in Mathew 11:12, " From the days of John the Baptist
until now the kingdom of
<BR>heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force." are
a midrash of Micah 2:12,13

<P>"2 I will surely gather all of you, O Jacob, I will gather the survivors
of Israel; I will set them together like sheep in a fold, like a flock
in its pasture; it will resound with people.13 The one who breaks out will
go up before them; they will break through and pass the gate, going out
by it. Their king will pass on before them, the LORD at their head.

<P>where the one who breaks out is John the Baptist and the Lord is understood
to be Jesus.&nbsp; Can&nbsp; BIAZETAI be taken as 'break out', and if so,
would that make sense of the text?

<P>I have a feeling that much of this hypothesis is dependent on the afore-mentioned
Imnotkiddingensis written in cross-brown crayola ;-) but I would love to
have some help in sorting it out.&nbsp; Thanks to all.

<P>Rion Reece
<BR>yoshua@tky2.3web.ne.jp</HTML>

</x-html>