Re: 1 Kings 1:15 (LXX)

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 06:46:27 EST

<x-flowed>To: Greg Stafford,

<< I would appreciate any insights you might have on the following portion of
Hannah's reply to Eli, in the LXX of 1 Kings 1:15 (Hebrew: 1 Samuel 1:15):

GUNH hH SKLHRA hHMERA EGO EIMI. >>

I have two copies of Rahlfs' LXX and both have the Iota subscript of the
relative pronoun slightly misplaced, but you should read hHi and not hH.
Literally, the passage reads (something like):

"I am a woman for whom the day is hard." (Or: "A women, for whom the day is
hard, I am.")

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

"... when Christ requires us ... to hate our own life in this world, is
there then a single one among us whose life in the remote degree could be
called even the weakest effort in this direction?" (Soren Kierkegaard,
"Attack Upon 'Christendom,'" 38).