Re: 1 Kings 1:15 (LXX)

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 08:34:57 EST

<x-flowed>To: Carl W. Conrad,

<< The only LXX text I have available at home reads GUNH hHi SKLHRA hHMERA
EGW EIMI; i.e. hHi is a relative pronoun, not an article; given this text,
I would understand the Greek with SKLHRA as the predicate adjective n. pl.
and hHMERA as the subject n. pl. with an implicit ESTI thus: "I am a woman
for whom soft things are hard." That is, I understand hHMERA here as a
neuter plural form of the adjective hHMEROS,-A,-ON. >>

Without implying anything, one way or the other, as to the merits of your
interpretation, would I be correct to suggest that the editor (Alfred
Rahlfs) of the LXX does not concur with you since he accented hHMERA as an
paroxytone rather than a proparoxytone? For according to my intermediate
LS, the accent on hHMERA ("day") is on the penult, whereas the accent on
hHMEROS is on the antepenult (which is the way it appears at 4 Macc 2:14 &
14:15). (By this I don't mean to suggest that the editor was necessarily
correct.)

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

"... when Christ requires us ... to hate our own life in this world, is
there then a single one among us whose life in the remote degree could be
called even the weakest effort in this direction?" (Soren Kierkegaard,
"Attack Upon 'Christendom,'" 38).