Re: Rev 4:8 Trisagion

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 13:36:04 EST

<x-flowed>>From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos@hotmail.com>

> I had a question re: the 'trisagion' found in Rev 4:8. It appears 3
>times, "holy, holy, holy". This comes from Isaiah 6:3 which in both
>the LXX and MT also have "holy" 3 times. However, there is another MS or
>MSS which have "hAGIOS" appearing 9 times at Rev 4:8. This does
>not appear as a textual variant, but seems to have been added for emphasis.
>Any thoughts on why this is the case? Many thanks.

When the trisagion is sung during the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom we
repeat this invocation three times, once for each person of the trinity.
Perhaps this scribe in Rev. 4:8 is picking this up from the Liturgical
practice that was on his lips many times per day.

This invocation is also part of the standard "beginning" prayers to every
liturgical service, vespers, compline, matins and all the hours.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor