Re: Loeb Classical Library

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 17:20:17 EST

At 12:35 PM -0800 11/29/99, George Goolde wrote:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>
>Anyone know of a "reasonable" way to purchase the Loeb classical
>library? Are these volumes available on CD - machine searchable?

There's a web site at Harvard UP:

        <http://www.hup.harvard.edu/Web_Loeb/complete.html>

But there's no CD, so far as I know; there's a volume discount that you can
read about at the web site. But I don't think one would really want a
machine searchable CD-ROM of the Loeb texts: they are not, by and large,
critical editions, and if they were, most of them are from pretty old times.

On the other hand, most of the significant Greek Loeb texts (very few of
the Latin) are on-line at the Perseus web site

        <http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/>

and you can, in a way, search them by using the lexicon entry which will
give you the number of hits in Perseus 2.0 texts and will, I think locate
them for you (I say that I think you can do it, but I've not tried to).

Far preferable, however, for research in Greek texts, is the TLG CD-ROM,
for which there are very good search programs for use on the major computer
platforms, information at:

        <http://www.tlg.uci.edu/>.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu