Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 08:17:06 EST

On Sun 28 Nov 1999 (23:48:14), dbielby@juno.com wrote:

> Also, why can't the phrase TWN OURANWN be translated as a plural?
> (I've always wondered about this phrase which appears all over the
> place)

 Dear David,

 As Carl has spoken, I hesitate to add my $0.02 to his $64K. But ISTM that
 the phrase BASILEIA TWN OURANWN / TOU OURANOU is a rendering into Greek
 of the Hebrew 'Qere Perpetuum': the reverent avoidance of pronouncing
 the name of God, or even the word God. Indeed, Jewish contributors to
 our sister List b-hebrew regularly type G-d to avoid typing God. So the
 Hebrew (Aramaic) behind hH BASILEIA TWN OURANWN is MaL:KuWT-YHWH; but
 speakers would always substitute MaL:KuWT-Ha$$aMaYiM or another similar
 periphrasis.

 So John Baptist (probably raised an Essene) would have meant hH BASILEIA
 TOU QEOU, but said B. TWN OURANWN instead.

 Turning to 4:17, here we have the Dignitary following the Forerunner
 who has prepared the way for him, taking up the message of the Forerunner
 and making it his own: METANOEITE: HGGIKEN GAR hH BASILEIA TWN OURANWN.
 John would have been well aware of Malachi 3:1 and his role as the humble
 Messenger (MaL:'aK, AGGELOS) proclaiming the imminent arrival of "the Lord
 whom ye seek". Malachi in Hebrew means "My Messenger". It is interesting
 that Jesus' first public utterance is to affirm the ministry of his
 Forerunner, John the Baptiser.

> So, can this phrase mean: the dominion/kingdom of the heavens has
> come....?

 IMHO (if I dare venture a theological interpretation) it means "the Kingly
 Rule of God and his Messiah has begun: so watch out! get right with God!".

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF