Re: Mounce's first year grammar

From: A K M Adam (akm-adam@nwu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 17:18:41 EST

<x-rich>Michael Burer and all,

I second Jonathan's and Clayton's observations, with the further note
that among those of us who don't assent to Mounce's theological
conclusions, the Exegetical Insights are even more distracting--it's
hard to teach from a text that proclaims as an "insight" something that
one thinks exegetically suspect as well as theologically off-kilter.

I hasten to add that I'm not claiming to be wiser in exegesis or
theology than Mounce, Wallace, Marshall, my old classmate Craig Keener,
or anyone--just to have reached different conclusions. And it's hard to
work with a text that's teaching at cross-purposes to what you're
trying to inculcate.

If you're sympathetic with Mounce, the Insights are a real plus. If you
aren't they're a real minus.

Grace and peace,

AKMA