Re: brefos v. paidion

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 22:19:26 EST

>Well I suppose y'all knew it was coming; but I wish to ask after the
>specific meaning of brefos and paidion. What ages are denoted by these
>terms (beyond the general 'infant' and 'youth'). Is there any source which
>says something like "a brefos is a baby from birth to weaning; whilst a
>paidion is a toddler from 2 and up to the teen years". (thats just an
>example- to give some notion of what I am looking for).

Jim, I'm talking without my reference tools here, but I think that BREFOS
is used for a new-born (perhaps even an unborn) while PAIDION can refer to
an infant but also to a child that is grown. The statement about Timothy is
that "from infancy (BREFOS) you have" . . .

Perhaps a check of TWNT could give more exact info. But I don't pack it around.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net