Re: GENNAW

From: Daniel L Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 00:09:12 EST

Bart Ehrman wrote:

> So, would you translate Ps. 2:7, "You are my son, today I have
produced
> you" ?

    As I mentioned in my post, I would never lock myself in to *one*
translation of
any given term, and indeed, I admit that

> > Certainly, there are times when "born" or "give birth" will be
the
> > best translation for GENNAW. And we never should try for a
one-to-one
> > lexical correspondence between languages (apart from purely
technical
> > terminology). But, if I *had to* choose one rendering, I would opt
for
> > "produce."

    Of course, to become too specific about this verse would require
theological
discussion which goes beyond the bounds of B-Greek. But, without
bringing theology
into this, I think it is probably clear that the speaker of Psalm 2:7 is
*not*
referring to an actual day of birth. So, in answer to the specific
question: yes, I
think that the context of Psalm 2:7 would better be served by "produce,"
than by
"give
birth." "Produce" may not be perfect here, but still better than "give
birth."
IMO.

--
Daniel L. Christiansen