Re: Mounce's first year grammar

From: Ed Gorham (aekalm@a-znet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 23:46:21 EST

I have worked through several first year grammars, and in teaching someone
who desires to learn NT Greek and has no background to speak of in the
language, I think Mounce is about the best. And I don't always agree with
his illustrations at the beginnings of the chapters, either. I think he (or
his contributors) stretch things some times, as others have already pointed
out.

If you don't care for the illustration, the solution seems simple. Skip it.
White it out. Doodle over it. Make faces at it. Silly, yes, but it makes
more sense to me than throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Bottom line
is that the grammar is a good piece of work, excellently geared for its
intended audience, regardless of how one feels about the opening paragraphs
in each chapter.

Ed Gorham
aekalm@a-znet.com