Re: EIS TOUS AIWNAS TWN AIWNWN

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 23:56:39 EST

----------
>From: "Jim Kirby" <Yakob@juno.com>

> Greetings;
> I have a question concerning this phrase that is found in the book of
> Rev and translated "for ever and ever". In every place it appaers these 5
> words are all in the Greek with one exception.. Rev 14:11. For some reason
> when John wrote this verse he left the definite article out. Does anybody
> have any thoughts as to why he did? Thank you all. Jim Kirby

Kirby,

Spent some time on this without much in the way of results. The exact
form found in Rev 14:11 EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN is not found anywhere else
either in the NT or the LXX.

However an anarthrous form with a similar sense is found in the Psalms
and Daniel (LXX only):

EIS AIWNA AIWNOS

Psa. 18:10 Psa. 20:5 Psa. 20:7 Psa. 21:27 Psa. 36:27 Psa. 36:29 Psa.
131:14 Dan. 13:63

I looked into D. Aune, G. Beale and G.B. Swete but the had nothing
illuminating to say about the significance of the anarthrous form of
this expression.

I am tempted to speculate that the anarthrous form does not really have
much significance but I will be waiting with baited breath to see what
the Apocalyptic experts on the b-greek list have to say about it.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point