Re: Pluperfect

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 14:54:54 EST

At 11:45 AM -0800 12/3/99, Garland H. Shinn wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I have found 86 pluperfects in the NT and I think all of them are in the
>indicative mood. Have you found the same?
>
>If so, are there any examples from the koine period of the pluperfect
>used outside the indicative?

The pluperfect, like the imperfect, NEVER appeared outside the indicative
mood, so far as I know, at any time in the history of the language. These
are, after all, the past tenses of what are two distinct aspects, both
augmented, both based on the identical stem as the perfect and present, and
both employing secondary endings. One will find unaugmented imperfects and
pluperfects in poetry, and in the Koine, the pluperfect is rare and not
infrequently appears, when it does appear, without an augment. You will
find secondary endings attached to optatives of the present and perfect,
but these forms are not to be deemed to be imperfect and pluperfect for
that reason.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu