Re: the sense of ENOXOS ESTIN (Mk 3:29)

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 07:03:18 EST

"Carl W. Conrad" wrote:

> At 9:35 PM -0600 12/5/99, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

[snip]

> >I am curious to know if the expression ENOXOS ESTIN is (a) idiomatic and
> >(b) drawn from the law court and/or bears any particular legal
> >significance.
>
> Jeffrey: do you find yourself getting e-mail from high school students asking for help with a homework assignment?--e.g. "what do you think of the character of Oedipus in Sophocles' play?" or" What would you say is characteristic of Greek tragedy?" or "Would you tell me how you'd translate this Latin poem?" The following is what I got in a couple minutes from the Perseus LSJ entry, and I think it offers sufficient clues to your questions:

[snip]

Do an online Perseus LSJ search? What a novel idea! <g> Now why didn't I think of that??

Seriously -- it must be the onset of senility -- but I really **didn't** think of that, and in the back of my mind, preventing me from doing so, MUST have the idea that I wouldn't get sufficient examples of the phrase from LSJ to answer my question. And all of this after I myself just advised an XTalk member, who wanted to know what a definition of a word was, to look at LSJ!!!

Apologies for making the List responsible for doing my homework.

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson