Re: "Near" (was: Re: Matthew 4:17 'near')

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 1999 - 07:54:18 EST

<x-flowed>To: Joe A. Friberg,

<< You are right that the extension to intimacy is not a long jump. If it
is made, what does that do to the near vs. here contrast? >>

Both "near" and "here" are relative points of orientation. For example, it
is possible to view the whole world as "here," and only that which is
outside the world as "there." On the other hand, my wife could snuggle up
next to me and yet I could view her body as being "there," whereas I am
"here." Or I could view us both as being "here." These are relative points
of orientation, it has nothing to do with real distance. Likewise, the term
"near" simply refers to a position as being relatively close to another
position, it has nothing to do with real distance. The terms "here" and
"near" are simply two different modes of orientation, by themselves they
can't tell us anything about real location, they only tell us how the
speaker of those terms is viewing things.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

"Words are like people. To know them well one must meet them on their own
level, in their own environment. In different circumstances they react
differently. Like a face they take on varying expressions. Some of them
move from place to place; some never return to their earlier familiar
surroundings. But to know their past is to know a little better what makes
them act as they do in the present" (Frederick W. Danker, "Multipurpose
Tools for Bible Study," 1993:135).