A ONE TIME REPLY

From: Mr. Gary S. Dykes (yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 06:04:23 EST

This concerns Dr. West's reply to a post I made concerning John 12:7.

Some readers are aware that Dr. West displays animosity towards any post I
make, and this brief post will simply reply to his statements. I shall not
further post ANY public comments conerning Dr. West's and my ideological
differences. But this post needs posting, so bear with me.

Scholarly status is too often based upon titles and institutional
programming, or upon tenure, or upon publications, or grant status. I
accept a person for what they have to offer, at face value. I refuse to be
guided by prejudice, and I appreciate views seen by any believers and
pagans, with or without titles.

I attended 6 colleges (so far) and certainly seek no degree, I just pick
out subjects I determine to be worth studying. I have studied TC for
decades, much longer than West's limited institutional programming. Hence,
we have different views, and mine stem from long experience. As far as I
know West has no true TC training, just the typical seminary 2 years of
Greek and Hebrew.

I have not ever suggested rejection of the work of the Germans nor of the
NA Greek editions. The thought of such rejection is inane! Readers can see
West injecting some distortion here. I am thankful for their efforts, and I
have often collaborated with members of the Institute in Germany, we are
friends. I do not subscribe to some of the German oriented views concerning
the so-called synoptic "problem". But I respect their work. Where did
West's charge come from??

Yes, most Greek NT texts have errors, but Swanson's is being corrected.
(Both in typo errors, and in readings). And Swanson's (as far as it goes
thus far) is far far more extensive and accurate.

I certainly do not base my choice at John 12:7 upon a single criterion,
again West adds distortions.

My TC views are not mainstream, and are apparent in Swanson's work (as I
was privileged to work with him in numerous ways). My web site also makes
clear many of my basic principles, for those who can see. I am not bound to
one text-type, I am basically eclectic.

I advocate going directly to the MSS for critical evaluations, and my
evaluations are not based upon my "German forebears". They are based upon
my original research. And yes, Dr. West you too can do original work, you
need not follow the herd. But do expect attacks from those like yourself.

This said, let us move on. Any further questions should be done off-line,
my views are public and if any one needs more insight - just ask me.

I thank you for bearing with me in this unpleasantry.

en Xristw

Mr. Gary S. Dykes email -- yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net
Swanson's Errata -- http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/