John 3.34 - GAR

From: N & RJ Hanscamp (hanscamps@paradise.net.nz)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 19:46:15 EST

In some exegesis I am doing I came across the following phrase: (John 3.34)

hON GAR APESTEILEN hO QEOS TA RHMATA TOU QEOU LALEI, OU GAR EK METROU
DIDWSIN TO PNEUMA.

I wonder if others would take this phrase as being that the ability to speak
the words of God comes from the Spirit which is given.

I know that there is some controversy over who is given the Spirit (Jesus,
John the Baptist, or the believer), but what I am questioning is whether the
empowerment to speak the words comes from the Spirit. Is this the emphasis
of the GAR in the second phrase.

Thanks

Nigel.

Nigel and Rebecca Hanscamp
Trinity Methodist Theological College
Auckland Consortium of Theological Education, New Zealand
Email: hanscamps@paradise.net.nz

Auckland. Still the home of the America's cup.