Matt 5:14

From: David A Bielby (dbielby@juno.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 19:26:52 EST

The term hUMEIS from hUMEIS ESTE TO FWS TOU KOSMOU should be understood
to mean you all together are the light of the world....can the concept
you, each one individually, are the light of the world. The broader
question is this: When the second plural is used in Greek how does one
know when to apply it also as a second singular?

The reason for my question is that from time to time I hear someone make
a point that second plural pronouns cannot automatically apply to
individuals, but are corporate commands to congregations or groups of
people that only a community can obey as a community, but have never
heard anything from Greek Grammar that could validate or invalidate this.

Thanks for the input.

David Bielby
the Vineyard
'a contemporary church'