Re: Reader-response criticism

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 08:19:44 EST

   The two best introductions, in my opinion, are the collections of
essays first by Susan Suleiman and Inge Crosman, _The Reader in the Text:
Essays on Audience and Ingterpretation (Princeton, 1980) and Jane
Thompkins _Reader Response Criticism: From Formalism to Structuralism_
(Johns Hopkins, 1980). These give a range of ways of engagint in reader
response (most of the people doing it in biblical studies are simply
derivative of a rather low-level form of reader response, which often
involves little more than giving new names to traditional exegetical
categories and pretending that something different is being done now; the
books I've mentioned, though, are by people outside of biblical studies
with a variety of ways of understanding the reader's relationship to the
text).

   Still the most interesting collection, though (and challenging and
brilliant and -- in the later essays, most radical in a good sense), in my
opinion, is Stanley Fish, _Is There a Text in This Class_ (Harvard 1980)

-- Bart D. Ehrman