Re: Complications of the Article

From: Mr. Gary S. Dykes (yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 23:55:46 EST

Woodruff wrote in part:
Nigel Turner in his volume 3 of Moulton-Howard-Turner's _Grammar of the
Greek New Testament_ discusses the Semetic influence on the absence of the
article on page 179-180.

Dykes replies:
Turner mentions the influence of Hebrew. As far as "Semitic" languages go,
the Syriac also had an impact on some article usages in the NT, especially
as concerns Greek NT MSS copied by Syrian oriented scribes. In Syriac there
is no true article, and the construct state cannot be a guide to the
existence or non-existence of an original Greek article. Syriac has
devised
several other means to indicate SOME articles. This note applies to another
post which implicated the construct state in the Semitic languages.

I wish Turner had commented upon the Sahidic's influence as well, but
Coptic is like a sub-set of the Hamitic/Semitic group. Because Turner
focused uopn the Hebrew "influence" one suspects his motives, why JUST
Hebrew (perhaps he felt the LXX impacted the Greek, which it did, but not
to the degree he posits). So posits I.

Some view Turner's contribution the the MHT set as an over-reaction to
Moulton's view -- that Hebraic idioms were too often used as an excuse for
various grammatical anomilies in the NT Greek text.

The term Semitic does not just = Hebrew (or just Syriac). I know you know
this, I am not picking on you, just a reminder we all need.

Mr. Gary S. Dykes email -- yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net
Swanson's errata List -- http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/