Re: "Co-workers with God"? - 1 Cor. 3:9

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 14:56:32 EST

This is perhaps a good time to reiterate one point about the "true"
genitive (what in my perversity I have learned to call the "pertinentive")
as opposed to the "ablative" and the "partitive": this is a structural case
that simply indicates that one substantive depends upon another
substantive; analytic grammarians have subdivided into numerous categories
to suit their own whims, fancies, and idiosyncratic categorization of the
numbers of ways in which any one substantive can relate to any other
substantive (including "subjective" and "objective" genitive).

As for QEOU SUNERGOI, whether you prefer to translate it as "God's
co-workers", "Co-workers with God", "Co-workers under God" is likely to say
a lot more about your own theological preferences than it can ever say
about the Greek. That is to say: I think the question you are asking about
really doesn't concern how we understand the Greek in the slightest;
rather, it concerns how a translator conceives of the relationship between
human beings and God. Greek grammar can't tell you the answer to that one.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu