Re: Gal 1:6

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 17:56:50 EST

>At 1:20 AM -0800 12/10/99, Byron Knutson wrote:
>>List members:
>>
>>I am wondering what it is I'm missing in Gal 1:6. It reads as follows:
>>
>>...APO TOU KALESANTOS UMAS EN CARITI CRISTOU....
>>
>>Every English version I consulted translated this in the same fashion, e.g.,
>>KJV:...from him that called you into the grace OF CHRIST.... My question
>>is - Why don't they take the phrase KALESANTOS UMAS EN CARITI as an
>>adjectival phrase modifying APO TOU ... CRISTOU meaning essentially -
>>"...from the Christ who has called you..."?
>
>Well, it seems a bit more natural to take CRISTOU as genitive dependent
>upon CARITI. I don't see anything really wrong with understanding CRISTOU
>as appositive to the substantival participle TOU KALESANTOS hUMAS, although
>it seems to me that to make KALESANTOS an attributive participle to a
>larger enclosure, TOU ... CRISTOU is less common for Koine Greek.

Omit Carl's material on TC.

I think that we should omit XRISTOU primarily on internal and
transcriptional grounds. Thus I would translate QAUMAZW OTI hOUTWS TACEWS
METATIQESQE APO TOU KALESANTOS hUMAS EN CARITI EIS hETERON EUAGGELION as "I
am amazed that you are so readily moved from the one who called you by
grace to another gospel." The translation of hOUTWS TACEWS as "so readily"
does not make it a factor in the length of time from Paul's first mission
there and the writing of the letter (the North/South question). I take TOU
KALESANTOS as refering to Christ and EN CARITI as instrumental.
  It is much easier for me to explain the addition of the name than to
explain the inclusion.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College