Syntax Grammars

From: George Goolde (goolde@mtnempire.net)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 21:02:18 EST

<x-flowed>Some of us would select a grammar largely because it equips the student to
understand biblical Greek. I know this may be a "shortsighted" approach to
some of you. But many of us study Greek only to translate and apply the
Word of God rather than out of a love for and appreciation of classical
languages.

A case in point: There was a question a few posts back about the grammar
of Eugene VanNess Goetchius. I used that grammar as a student and hated it
because there was so much in it designed for linguists. I have nothing bad
to say about linguists; I just wasn't trying to be one!

That is why I personally prefer an eight case grammar to a five case
one. I think it is a strong step in the right direction toward teaching
students to understand their Bibles. The main idea of the ablative is not
the same as the main idea of the genitive whether or not we chose to
identify them as separate cases or uses of one case.

I guess I am sort of arguing for an "engineering" approach rather than a
"liberal arts" approach to the study of Greek.

Maybe we need more than one "standard grammar," depending on our approach
and purpose for studying.

George

George A. Goolde
Professor, Bible and Theology
Southern California Bible College & Seminary
El Cajon, California

goolde@mtnempire.net