Re: Koine v. Classical

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 06:14:34 EST

<x-flowed>Back in 1994, there was a long thread on this topic on B-GREEK.
Carl, as ever, had a solid contribution to make, in late August.
But on Sept 4, Rod J. Decker started a series of postings, beginning with:

A summary of: Deissmann, Adolf. "Hellenistic Greek with Special
Consideration of the Greek Bible." In The Language of the New Testament:
Classic Essays. JSNT supp. series # 60. Edited by Stanley E. Porter,
39-59. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1991.

[The original was published in 1899. The reprint in Porter's anthology is
the first time it has been translated into English. Any pg. refs. not
otherwise identified are from this article. My comments are included in
<endnotes>, RJD.]
<<

Soon after there was:

The following is a summary of:
Rydbeck, Lars. "On the Question of Linguistic Levels and the Place of the
New Testament in the Contemporary Language Milieu." In _The Language of
the New Testament: Classic Essays._ JSNT supp. series # 60. Edited
by Stanley E. Porter, 191-204. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1991.<1>
<<

Rod then gave us:

The following summary from Porter's book was prepared by Robert A.
Lillo, one of my doctoral classmates in a course in Advanced [Koine] Greek
Grammar. He may be contacted c/o me if anyone desires to do so. Rod
Decker (rod.j.decker@uwrf.edu)

Joseph Fitzmyer, "The Languages of Palestine in the First Century AD," In
_The Language of the New Testament: Classic Essays._ JSNT supp. series #
60. Edited by Stanley E. Porter. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1991.
<<
and he added yet again:

Nigel Turner, "The Language of Jesus and His Disciples" in _The Language
of the New Testament: Classic Essays._ JSNT supp. series # 60. Edited by
Stanley E. Porter. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1991.
[Page refs. are to the original publication in Turner's _Grammatical
Insights into the New Testament_.]
<<

These are still available on the list's archive web-site.

Enjoy!

Maurice
Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie