Re: ATTIC VS. KOINE

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 14:00:29 EST

I agree with Carl that a working knowledge of the Attic would only
enhance one's appreciation and understanding of the Koine, though
I also speak as one primarily trained in the Koine.

The issue for most of us pastors, however, is that of primacy. Just
how much time does one want to devote himself to in the Attic when
his first calling is to study the Word of God (Ezra 7:10, 2 Tim 2:15),
the
NT of which is written in the Koine? This is not to say studies of the
Attic
and Koine should be mutually exclusive, just that one has to consider
the law of diminishing returns. More study in the Attic may be good,
but if too much time is spent in it, then one's study in the Koine NT
may be lessened, possibly resulting in more significant damage to
others.

For as me, my studies in the Attic have been primarily on an "as need
basis." If I am doing word studies, for example, than I can and do
often check the Attic usages. Or, good grammars can be quite helpful.
Have I read Homer? Not in the Greek. Do I plan to read it or some of
classics in the Greek? Probably not. If I read outside the Greek NT,
I would rather read the LXX, or the early Greek fathers.

This is the main reason I find the Greek list of such value. I am able
to rely on the knowledge of others, more knowledgeable in the Attic
than I. It can be and has proven to be an efficient tool for me.

Thanks guys.

Paul Dixon