Re: Philippians 4:3-4 hWN TA ONOMATA EN BIBLW ZWHS

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 18:01:12 EST

Bill Ross wrote;

>I've been too busy and have been off list for some months. Hi.
>
>The 3rd and 4th verses of Phillipians 4 are divided up thusly. Is there
>another possible division?
>
>Philippians
>4:3
>NAI ERWTW KAI SE GNHSIE SUZUGE SULLAMBANOU AUTAIS AITINES EN TW EUAGGELIW
>SUNHQLHSAN MOI META KAI KLHMENTOS KAI TWN LOIPWN SUNERGWN MOU hWN TA
>ONOMATA EN BIBLW ZWHS
>4:4
>CAIRETE EN KURIW PANTOTE PALIN ERW CAIRETE
>
>Could you begin a sentece with hWN, as in:
>
>"Whose names are written in Life's Book, rejoice in the Lord always!"
>
>This would seem to echo Jesus:
>
>Luke 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are
>subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in

You could begin a sentence with a relative clause and I suppose the
relative pronoun could be in the genitive case if its function within the
clause demanded it though I cannot think of any instances at the moment and
I do not have my laptop with accordance at home. However, in this instance
it seems better to me to allow the relative to modify TWN LOIPWN SUNERGWN
MOU.

>Also, there is no verb in the clause:
>
>hWN TA ONOMATA EN BIBLW ZWHS
>
>Is that proper Koine?

Yes, this is often done in the NT. The understood verb is ESTIN (with a
neuter plural subject). The relative modifies TA ONOMATA, the subject of
the understood verb.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College