RE: Col 1:21-23

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 21:45:30 EST

<George>
wross wrote: (Is that William Ross? I apologize for not knowing your
name, but your post was not signed)

<Bill>
Yes, but I go by Bill.

>The term "reconciled" APOKATHLLAXEV does not have the same sense as in
"reconciled" in English. Etymologically it comes from tearing down a wall.
The sense is that one person tore down their side of the wall, not that
two were reunited into unity. Hence...

<George>
How did you determine this was the meaning?

<Bill>
The "wall" I extrapolated when I recounted the etymology from memory. But
the meaning I got from three sources:

* the elements of the word do not contain images of "union" but of "away
from" and "down" implying change (reconciliation) from removal of something
(an obstacle, or a wall);

* this is *everywhere* seen in *context* and *usage* of the word in
Scripture:

Eph 2:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by
the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath **broken down the
middle wall of partition between us**;
15 Having **abolished in his flesh the enmity**, even the law of
commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one
new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might **reconcile** both unto God in one body by the cross,
having **slain the enmity** thereby:
17 And came and **preached peace** to you which were afar off, and to them
that were nigh.
18 For through him we both have *access* by one Spirit unto the Father.

Nowhere in Scripture is reconciliation represented as anything less than
universal in scope or more than conditionally effective upon a corresponding
response by those reconciled.

So to answer your question:

* the word itself
* its usage and context in Scripture

Further, The Complete Biblical Library has this to say about the classical
Greek usage of KATALLASSW:

" ...Primarily it describes the actions taken to end the struggle and anger
between enemies"

Hence, God took actions and now we are besought to do the same.

To hope to embue the word with the meaning of effectively reuniting two
parties rather than one makes the context unreasonable in the above verse
and in every other Biblical usage.

Bill Ross