RE: 2John 7

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 11:33:22 EST

<Carl>
>I don't think the question is that easily resolved; I would sooner
translate it "coming in the flesh." The problem is that the participle is a
PRESENT participle rather than an aorist or perfect participle (ELQONTA or
ELHLUQOTA), inasmuch as one would suppose it is referring to the earthly
ministry of Jesus. It if IS referring to the earthly ministry of Jesus,
then I think we would expect the aorist or perfect participle of an event
in the past or an event completed. So I'd convert the present text of 2
John 7 as "For many have come into the world who do not confess that Jesus
Christ comes in flesh."

<Bill>
It may be helpful to compare/contrast with 1 John 4:2-3 where it is in fact
in the perfect:

1 John 4:2 EN TOUTW GINWSKETE TO PNEUMA TOU QEOU PAN PNEUMA O OMOLOGEI
IHSOUN CRISTON EN SARKI ELHLUQOTA EK TOU QEOU ESTIN
1 John 4:3 KAI PAN PNEUMA O MH OMOLOGEI TON IHSOUN EK TOU QEOU OUK ESTIN KAI
TOUTO ESTIN TO TOU ANTICRISTOU O AKHKOATE OTI ERCETAI KAI NUN EN TW KOSMW
ESTIN HDH

Bill Ross