Re: Who is welcome on B-Greek?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 16:51:10 EST

<x-rich>At 11:20 AM -0600 12/19/99, Steven Craig Miller wrote:

>Although I am myself a committed Christian, it is not my understanding

>(perhaps I'm mistaken) that one had to be a Christian to participate
in

>this list. My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was
that

>one only needed to have a somewhat academic interest in biblical
Greek. It

>has been my personal experience (for seven years I was section leader
for

>the scholarship section on a CompuServe religious issues forum) that
there

>are many non-Christians who have serious interests in studying
Christianity

>and her scriptures. After all, Christianity has been the dominate
religion

>in Western civilization for the last two millennia. That should be
reason

>enough for outsiders to take some interest in learning about
Christianity.

The simple answer is: NO, one need not be a Christian to participate in
B-Greek. Lest there be any doubt on this issue, let me cite the
relevant parts of the FAQ which is sent out automatically to all new
subscribers and which is posted here on the list from time to time The
first relevant part is right at the beginning:

"A. DESCRIPTION OF THE LIST

     "1. Purpose: B-GREEK is an electronic conference designed to
foster communication concerning the scholarly study of the Greek Bible
and related Jewish and Christian Greek texts, matters of concern to
beginning and advanced students of Biblical Greek such as textbooks,
reference works, bibliography and research tools, with a fundamental
focus on understanding the Greek text of the Bible. Anyone interested
in New Testament Studies is invited to subscribe, but the list will
assume at least a working knowledge of Biblical Greek.

     "2. The B-Greek Community: B-Greek was started by David Marotta at
the the Center for Christian Study, an independent Christian ministry
at the University of Virginia. In 1998, David asked to step down as
list owner. We are grateful to David for his vision of a forum where
the Greek text and language of the Bible are discussed in detail by an
eclectic group of beginning students and veteran teachers, laymen and
clergy, conservatives and liberals, earnest inquirers and academic
scholars - all equally committed to probing the Biblical text in the
original Koine, and jointly exploring the mysteries and probabilities
of Biblical Greek morphology and syntax."

And a second relevant part is deeper down in the FAQ:

"D. Netiquette:

     "1. Respectful discourse: Those who participate in the conference
represent a wide range of theological and denominational perspectives,
perhaps even including some whose interests are purely academic. Deep
religious convictions surely characterize many, perhaps most, of the
list-participants, and some of these convictions bear directly upon how
the Biblical text is to be understood. At the core of our discussion,
however, is not what our convictions are but what the Greek text may
legitimately be understood to mean. If discussion of this nature is to
succeed, proper respect and courtesy to other list members is
important. While scholarly debate, including disagreement, is
encouraged as a goal of this conference, attacks upon the character,
intelligence, or faith of those participating are not acceptable.
Criticism must focus upon the arguments of others; it may not be
directed to the individual. Those who violate this policy will be
contacted politely by the B-Greek staff and requested to conform to
these guidelines. Those who continue to violate the policy will no
longer be welcome in the conference.

     "2. It is considered to be in very poor taste to post to the list
items that have been sent off list. Before doing so always consult the
author to see if this is acceptable. Complaints from authors of
messages that have been posted to the list without their consent will
be reviewed by the BG Staff and appropriate action will be taken, if
necessary.

     "3. No advertisements or job-postings are allowed without the
approval of the list-owner, Jonathan Robie <<jwrobie@mindspring.com>.
Please clear your requests before posting. Those directly related to
the subject matter of B-GREEK will probably be approved.

     "4. Signatures: It is a courtesy expected of B-Greek subscribers
that messages should indicate, at least in the "From" header, the
personal name as well as the e-address, or else should at least sign
their posts with personal names. Indications of the locality from which
they write would help personalize further for others the sender of a
message. Academic or institutional information may be appended also,
but there is no privilege associated with any academic or institutional
status so-indicated."

The full text of the FAQ, which includes further information on the
list administration, on subscribing and unsubscribing and a guide to
transliteration schemes commonly used on B-Greek, may be viewed at the
list's home site:

        http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek/

Carl W. Conrad

Co-Chair, B-Greek List