Re: 1 John 1:1-Genitive of Connection?

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 16:17:32 EST

In a message dated 12/20/99 2:16:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
Ilvgrammta@aol.com writes:

<<
 1 John 1:5 reads:

 hO HN AP' ARXHS hO AKHKOAMEN hO hEWRAKAMEN TOIS OFQALMOIS hHMWN hO
EQEASAMEQA
 KAI hAI XEIRES hHMWN EYHLAFHSAN PERI TOU LOGOU THS ZWHS.

 In his _First John Reader_ S.M. Baugh writes that THS ZWHS is a "genitive of
 connection." (where the word in the genitive highlights the subject matter
of
 discourse. In this case, the "word of life.")

 What is a genitive of connection? Is this another category formulated to
 classify and tag syntactical functions? I've looked in other grammars and
 have yet to find a "genitive of connection." Maybe I've been looking in the
 wrong places, but I would love to know more about this subject.

<A
HREF="http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/text?lookup=smyth+1380&vers=english
&display=SMK&browse=1">Genitive of Connection -- Smyth</A>

gfsomsel