RE: Debtor on Re: Revelation 1:11

From: Mark Gibbs (GibbsM@smcsc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 10:08:16 EST

>Grant wrote:
>
>Revelation 1:11: "Saying: 'What you see write in a scroll and send it
to the
>sven congregations, in Ephesus and in Smyrna and in Pergamum and in
Thyatira
>and in Sardis and in Philadelphia and in Laodicea."ÊBut according to
other
>translation, although varying in the previous rendering, they add in
the
>beginning of the scripture "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the
last."ÊMy
>question: "What is the basis for the addition or what is the basis for
the
>removal as many translations have done?"ÊThe Latin Vulgate of Jerome
>interestingly does not include "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the
>last."What is possibility an addition to the text of Revelation
intended to
>clarify the identificaion of the Alpha and Omega or something to that
>effect?Should we leave it out when translating due what some have
called "its
>spurious nature?"ÊCordiallyÊGrant PolleÊLouisiana, USA

Once again, presuppositions concerning textual criticism will dictate
one's
explanation of the "addition" or the "ommision." The critical apparatus
for
Rev. 1:11 makes it very clear as to those explanations. Without going
into
any of the details of critical methodology to support myself here, IMO,
it is
proper to omit the pharse based upon the evidence found in the critical
apparatus.

Respectfully,
Mark Gibbs