Re: Philipians 2:11, KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 17:56:09 EST

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:09:06 +0100 Blahoslav Cicel <cbmost@iol.cz>
writes:
> God bless you all.
>
> In Php 2:11 Paul writes:
> 10. hINA...
> 11. (KAI) PASA GLWSSA EXOMOLOGHSHTAI hOTI KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS EIS
> DOXAN QEOU
> PATROS.
>
> There is a confession: LORD JESUS CHRIST. There is a verb (to be)
> obviously
> missing. So, what is the confession?
>
> a) Lord Jesus *is* Christ
> b) Lord *is* Jesus Christ (or in a "nicer" english: Jesus Christ is
> Lord)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blaho
> pastor, Church of Brothers, Most, Czech rep.

I like the nicer English, Jesus Christ is Lord. It also has better Greek
support.

Normally, predicate nominatives precede the verb and subject. I found
this to be
the case in the Gospel of John where the anarthrous predicate nominative
normally preceded the verb and subject (53 of 74 occurrences).

Also, the rule of thumb is that in any given sentence the subject is
articulated
and the predicate anarthrousized (such a word?). Given names, however,
which are by definition definite and not requiring the article, such as
IHSOUS CRISTOS, then one would expect a name to be the subject when
the other noun is anarthrous.

Paul Dixon