Re: John 13:34 - A hINA Clause with the force of an imperative?

From: Bret Hicks (bret@ratedg.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 19:21:47 EST

Carl,

    You wrote,

> Although one might call this an indirect command, it really is a noun
> clause, as are quite a few hINA + subjunctive clauses in Koine (= NA +
> subjunctive in Modern Greek); here I'd understand it as appositional to
> ENTOLHN: ENTOLHN KAINHN DIDWMI hUMIN, hINA AGAPATE ALLHLOUS: "I give you a
> new charge, that you love each other." Actually the Modern Greek NA + Subj.
> clause functions as an infinitive, and the hINA clause here could as well
> be conveyed as one: "I give you a new charge: to love each other."

    That is how I understood the first hINA clause in the verse. Do you then
consider that the second clause is parallel to the first, and that both are
then standing in apposition to
ENTOLHN? This makes a lot of sense, but what is the relation to KAQWS HGAPHSA
hUMAS in that case? How would these clauses relate to this section of the
verse?

In Christ,

Bret A. Hicks
Pastor