Re: Jn 8:57b

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 11:06:32 EST

In a message dated 12/24/99 6:37:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dolan@lasalle.edu writes:

<< For those hot on 8:58, perhaps help can be derived from Tjitze Baarda,
"John
 8:57B. The Contribution of the Diatessaron of Tatian," Novum Testamentum
 38.4 (1996): 336-343. My memory of Baarda's point is foggy, but the Jn
 8:58 thread reminded me of this article.

 Andrew T. Dolan, Ph.D. Cand.
 Assistant Professor of Theology >>

Dear Andrew:

Yes, Baarda's article is a fine read. Rather than "you have seen Abraham,"
one could gather from Baarda's research that it is more in line with the
context to read, along with aleph, P75, Syriac witnesses, 070, Sahidic and
Coptic manuscripts, "and Abraham has seen you?" (KAI ABRAAM hEWRAKEN SE).
This does in fact more closely reflect what Jesus actually said ("Abraham say
my day...").

Of course, the reading, "You have seen Abraham?" may simply be the result of
the Jews (again) misquoting and misinterpreting what Jesus said. See Baarda,
"John 8:57B: The Contribution of the Diatessaron of Tatian," 336.

Best Regards,

Greg Stafford