Re: Philippians 2:6

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 11:08:42 EST

"Rodney J. Decker" wrote:

> I've not followed this thread (this ref. has been discussed at length a
> number of times previously on b-greek), but I'll at least note that I've
> posted a discussion of the text at
> <http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_ken.htm>. There is also a .pdf version
> that makes the fonts more legible at
> <http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/documents/kenosis.pdf>.

In addition to the articles Rod suggests, B-Greekers will find much to consider in
the article on the "hymn" in Phillipians by David Seeley ("The Background of the
Philippians Hymn (2:6-11)" that is available at http://www.depts.drew.edu/jhc. Look
under "Articles You Can Read Now."

In any case, let me note that absolutely essential reading for the topic under
discussion is Tom Wright's 1986 JTS article "hARPAGMOS and the Meaning of Phillipians
2:5-11" (vol 37, pp. 321-352). Anyone who wants to get a sense of the full semantic
range of hARPAGMOS as well as of how Paul is using the word in Phillipians **must**
read this contribution.

An extensive biblio on the hymn can be found in J.M. Bassler (ed) _Pauline Theology_
Vol 1 (Fortress, 1994), 281-284.

Yours with best wishes for the season,

Jeffrey

--